When you use an online dating website you have thousands of potential partners at your fingertips. Not only is it easy, it also means you will come across people you would never of met if it wasn’t for the internet! Because of this and many other reasons, more and more singletons are turning to online dating to find their one true love. Maybe you just want a quick hook up? There is certainly no shame in that! Either way the internet makes it a lot bloody easier.
There are so many positives to online dating that sometimes it overshadows the negatives. the main concern with meeting people online is personal safety. It’s very easy to get wrapped up in the excitement that chatting to a new potential partner brings. The bottom line is when it comes to online profiles we have the responsibility of creating our own. Its important to remember that this means people have the opportunity to lie to their hearts content.
While it’s very common for those first dates to run smoothly, sadly, there is always the risk that it won’t. However, providing you are careful and control the situation with caution and consideration you can keep yourself safe. I have compiled a list of 10 things you should do before meeting anyone online! These tips will help keep you safe when meeting new people.
• Always let friends and/or family know about your date. Give them the information of who, when and where.
• Retrieve your dates car number plate. If you can give those you trust this information it will help if you have been given a false name as the car will be registered to the owner of the vehicle.
• Before you meet in person participate in phone calls or even better, video calls.
• Stay on the ball when you are exchanging messages. Keep alert for any contradicting information or outright lies.
• Before you leave for your date turn on your phones GPS, doing this means your location can always be traced.
• Meet your date in a public place and arrange to meet them at the destination. It’s safer than being picked up and alone in a car.
• At the end of the date do not go to their place and do not invite them to yours.
• Before arranging your first date, fact check. You can search them on Google and check social media pages. You can also do a reverse image search to ensure the photo they are using hasn’t been taken from somewhere else.
• Trust your instincts if it sounds too good to be true it most probably is. Don’t let anyone charm you into second guessing yourself.
• Ask for proof of any hard to believe claims and information.
I know you may feel nervous or embarrassed asking certain questions, I get that I really do. But, if they are genuine they will have no issue with you protecting yourself. It takes a bit more time and effort to carry out these tasks but your safety is more important. the fact of the matter is, it’s always better to be safe than sorry. I know we often believe “it will never happen to me” but you have to remember, the people it has happened to? Well they probably thought the exact same thing.